OFFERS for members
Our Furniture English2Easy Your ads here 150x60

English Grammar in Use (11) Past simple (I did)

3:35 PM / Posted by 2easy_Team /

Past simple (I did)

A) Study this example : 

Tom     : Look! It’s raining again.

Ann     : Oh no, not again. It rained all day yesterday too.

 Rained is the past simple tense. We use the past simple to talk about actions or situations in the past.

                      -            I very much enjoyed the party.

                      -            Mr. Edwards died ten years ago.

                      -            When I lived in Manchester, I worked in a bank. 

B) Very often the past simple ends in -ed :

                      -            We invited them to our party but they decided not to come.

                      -            The police stopped me on my way home last night.

                      -            She passed her examination because she studied very hard. 

But many important verbs are irregular.This means that the past simple does not end in -ed. For Example:

leave    left              We all left the party at 11 o’clock.

go        went           Yesterday I went to London to see a friend of mine.

cost      cost            This house cost $35,000 in 1980. 

The past of the verb be (am/is/are) is was/were :

I/he/she/it

was

we/you/they

were

I was angry because      Tom and Ann were late.                                               

C) In past simple questions and negatives we use did/didn’t + the infinitive (do/open/rain etc.):

                           It rained                      did it rain?                 It didn’t rain

                      -            Ann           : Did you go out last night, Tom?

                     -            Tom           : Yes, I went to the cinema. But I didn’t enjoy the film.

                     -            When did Mr. Edwards die?

                     -            What did you do at the week-end?

                     -            We didn’t invite her to the party, so she didn’t come.

                     -            Why didn’t you phone me on Tuseday? 

Note that we normally use did/didn’t with have:

                     -            Did you have time to write the litter?

                     -            I didn’t have enough money to buy anything to eat. 

But we do not use did with the verb be (was/were):

                     -            Why were you so angry?

                     -            They weren’t able to come because they were very busy.

Was Tom at work yesterday?

Labels:

1 comments:

Anonymous on April 21, 2009 at 4:35 AM

did you have time to write the litter? i think better write ( letter)

Post a Comment