OFFERS for members
Our Furniture English2Easy Your ads here 150x60

English Grammar in Use (9) Will (2)

4:20 PM / Posted by 2easy_Team /

Will (2)

A) When we talk about the future, we often say what someone has arranged to do or intends to do. Do not use will in this situation:

- Tom is playing tennis on Monday.                                       (not 'Tom will play')

- Are you going to watch television this evening?                (not 'will you watch')

But often when we are talking about the future, we are not talking about arrangements or intentions. Study this example:

Tom: I'm very worried about my examination next week.

Ann: Don't worry, Tom, You'll pass.

 'You'll pass' is not an arrangement or an intention. Ann is just saying what will happen. Or what she think will happen; she is predicting the future. When we predict a future happening or a future situation, we use will/won't.

- When you return home, You'll notice a lot of changes.

- This time next year I'll be in Japan. Where will you be?

- When will you know your examination results?

- Tom won't pass his examination. He hasn't done any work for it.

 

We often use will with these words and expressions:

Probably          è I'll probably be a bit later this evening.

(I'm) sure         è You must meet Ann. I'm sure you'll like her.

(I) expect         è I expect Carol will get the job.

(I) think           è Do you think we'll win the match?

 B) Will and shall:

you can use Shall or will with I and we:

-          We shall (or we will ) probably go to Scotland in june.

 

But in spoken English we normally use the short forms I'll and we'll:

-          We'll probably go to Scotland in June.

 

The negative of shall is shan't (or shall not):

-          I shan't (or I won't) be here tomorrow.

 

Do not use shall with he/she/it/you/they.

Note that we use shall (not will) in the questions shall I ……..? and shall we …? (for offers, suggestions etc.:

- Shall I open the window? (= Do you want to me to open the window?)

- I've got money. What shall I do? (= What do you suggest I do?)

            - Where shall we go this evening?

Labels:

0 comments:

Post a Comment