OFFERS for members
Our Furniture English2Easy Your ads here 150x60

English Grammar in Use (3) Present continuous (I am doing) or present simple (I do ) ?

2:20 AM / Posted by 2easy_Team /

Present continuous (I am doing) or present simple (I do ) ?

A) Study this explanation and compare the examples:


Present continuous (I am doing)


Use the present continuos to talk about something which is happening at or around the time of speaking:


Present simple (I do)


Use the present simple to talk about things in general or things which happen repeatedly:


The kettle is boiling. Can you turn it off,please?


Listen to those people. What language are they speaking?


‘Where’s Tom?’ ‘He’s playing tennis.’


(you find a stranger in your room) What are you doing here?


Silvia is in Britain for three months. She’s learning English.


Use the present continuos for a temporary situation:


I’m living with some friends until I can find a flat.


That machine isn’t working. It broke down this morning.


Water boils at 100 degrees centigrade.


Excuse me, do you speak English?


Tom plays tennis every Saturday.


What do you do? (=What’s your job?)


Most people learn to swim when they are children.


Use the present simple for a permanent situation:


My parents live in London. They have been there for 20 years.


That machine doesn’t work. It hasn’t worked for years.

B) Some verbs used only in simple tenses. For example, you cannot say ‘I am knowing’. You can only say I know. Here is a list of verbs which are not normally used in continuous tenses (but there are exceptions):


want


like


belong


know


suppose


remember


need


love


see


realise


mean


forget


prefer


hate


hear


believe


understand


seem


have


(When the meaning is ‘possess’)


think


(When the meaning is ‘believe’)


    1. Do you like London? (not ‘are you liking’)
    2. He doesn’t understand. (not ‘he isn’t understanding’)
    3. These shoes belong to me. (not ‘are belonging’)
    4. What do you think Tom will do? (= What do you believe he will do?)

But:

What are you thinking about? (= What is going on in your mind?)

Labels:

0 comments:

Post a Comment