OFFERS for members
Our Furniture English2Easy Your ads here 150x60

English Grammar in Use (8) Going to (I am going to do)

4:58 PM / Posted by 2easy_Team /

Going to (I am going to do)

A) We use going to (do) when we say what we have already decided to do, what we intend to do in the future:

-A:There's a film on television tonight. Are you going to watch it?
B:No, I'm too tired. I'm going to have an early night.
-A:I hear Ann has won a lot of money. What is she going to do with it?
B:I've heard she's going to travel round the world.
-A:Have you made the coffee yet?
B:No, but I'm just going to make it.
(just = just at this moment)

B) We prefer to use the present continuous (I am doing) when we stay what someone has arranged to do – for example, arranged to meet someone, arranged to travel somewhere.
Going to is also possible:

- What time are you meeting Ann? (or 'are you going to meet')
- I'm traveling to Scotland on Monday. (or 'I'm going to travel.

C) We use was/were going to say what someone intended to do in the past but didn't do):

- We were going to travel by train but then we decided to go by car.
- A: Did Tom do the examination?
B: No, he was going to do it but in the end he changed his mind.
- I was just going to cross the road when someone shouted "Stop!'.

D) Going to also has another meaning. Study this example situation:

The man can't see where he is going.
There is a hole in front of him.
He is going to fall into the hole.

We use going to in this way when we say what we think will happen. Usually there is something in the present situation (the man walking towards the hole) that makes the speaker sure about what will happen.

* Look at those black clouds! It's going to rain. (The clouds are there now)
* Oh, I feel terrible. I think I'm going to be sick. (I feel terrible now)

Labels:

0 comments:

Post a Comment